Champions of the Flyway!

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Prrr-sistence is Fertile - Nocmig Dotterel, 7th Oct 2020

A quick one to celebrate these three rare and beautiful little prrrrs that almost escaped detection as I sleepily analysed my overnight nocmig recording before falling into bed last night.....    

In between the residual aural distractions that throw shapes all over the sonogram, and with my eyes rapidly closing, there they were - the diagnostic, tell-tale calls of a (Eurasian) Dotterel at 0013hrs! I've had many a nocmig reward for my efforts so far, but this is perhaps the sweetest to date - a species that is only recorded every few years here in Filey, and one which made me work hard for it. Satisfaction guaranteed....
Here's one I made earlier (Flamborough, 2018) 

Talking of Nocmig, how about a free online talk - as part of our virtual, 'Mini' Migweek (10th-18th Oct) - explaining the why, what, where, how and when of nocturnal migration recording? Not a problem - see here for details of this and many more free virtual treats this coming week!